Getting a carer’s assessment for your parent/carer - Transition Guide

If your parent/carer provides care or support to you and you are 18 or over, they can have a carer’s assessment.  Sheffield Carer’s Centre do this.  It gives them an opportunity to discuss the support your parent/carer might need to help care for you.

The assessment looks at how caring affects your parent/carers life.  They look at the physical, emotional and practical impacts.  They see whether your parent/carers are able or willing to continue caring for you.

5 cartoon characters, one is in a wheelchair

A carer’s assessment is not about assessing how well they are caring for you.  It is about supporting them as a carer and the impact their caring role has on them.

It does not include direct support for a young person for things like a short break, respite or daytime activities.  These can only be accessed through a Care and Support (Care Act) assessment.

A carer's assessment is completely separate from your support needs.  It doesn't take into account if your needs have been assessed or if you receive any formal support.

If someone else also provides unpaid care for you

They can have an assessment too.

They do not have to live with you to get to a carer’s assessment.

How to get a carer's assessment

If you have an allocated social care worker, you can ask them to refer your parent/carer for a carer’s assessment. If you don’t, or you’d prefer to speak to the Sheffield Carer’s Centre, your parent/carer can contact them on:

Telephone: 0114 272 8362


Orange rectangle with white text that says website

3 cartoon people.  1 is in a tracksuit, one is a doctor and the other is holding a clipboard.  There is also an image of a laptop in the centre of them.

Last updated: