Befriending support is for children and young people whose needs make attending an activity with others difficult. This support is usually a short term plan.  It helps meet specific outcomes for the individual child or young person.

The length of this service is set during the Special Needs Inclusion Playcare Service (SNIPS) assessment. The minimum duration of this service would be for 6 months. The allocated Befriender would then review this.

The Befriender may help the child or young person go out into the community to access activities that they would otherwise not be able to do. This may help the child or young person move into a group-based activity.

5 cartoon people, one is in a wheelchair

Who can attend?

Disabled children and young people who are unable to attend a group activity with other children.

You will need a referral to SNIPS to access this service.

How do I apply?

  • If you already have a Social Worker, ask them to refer you to SNIPS.
  • If you do not have a Social Worker, please contact the Children with Disabilities Team on 0114 2735368. Ask for a member of the SNIPS team. You will need an Early Help and Wellbeing Assessment to access this service.
  • If you already receive a SNIPS service, contact your SNIPS worker.

A SNIPS team member will contact you to arrange an Early Help and Wellbeing Assessment. The assessment is completed by your allocated Inclusion Officer. The assessment will include:

  • information about the young person’s likes/dislikes,
  • their strengths and what they are able to do well, as well as any areas where they may need some support.

The allocated worker will then submit a request to the Early Help Panel.  This is to request the Short Break on your behalf.

What happens next?

If agreed for a Befriending service, SNIPS will work with you to prepare a personal advert.  They send this to befriending providers. The responses are then shared with the family. The most suitable befriender is then contacted.

Do I have to pay?

The cost of the befriender will be paid for by the Council.  The cost of any activity undertaken should be paid by the parent/carer.

Last updated: