Independent living for older people

There are different housing options you can consider if you’re an older person who needs to move from your home but wants to stay independent:

  • Sheltered Housing 
  • Independent Retirement Living with care scheme - Buchanan Green
  • Extra Care schemes.

If you need help to visit some Independent Living Accommodation, Sheffield Churches Council for Community Care can help.

Their Placement Support Scheme offers free support for you and a family member to visit 3 different venues of your choice in a wheelchair-accessible vehicle/taxi.

Sheffield Churches Council for Community Care: Placement Support Scheme.

Sheltered Housing is rented accommodation designed for people aged over 60, who want to live independently but require some additional help and support. Sheltered
schemes vary but can provide things like:

  • self-contained flats, studio apartments or bungalows
  • communal facilities such as a lounge for social activities, gardens, kitchen, laundry
  • safety and security
  • neighbourhood officer or scheme manager
  • housing management and support service
  • caretaking service for the communal areas
  • 24 hour emergency response through an alarm service.

You can find information on Sheltered Housing in Sheffield and the rest of the UK, from the Elderly Accommodation Counsel website.

Elderly Accommodation Counsel.

Find out more about the sheltered housing schemes in Sheffield from Sheffield City Council's website. 

Sheffield City Council: Sheltered housing.

You can also talk to the Council Housing Service.

Call: 0114 293 0000.

Or download the guide to sheltered housing in Sheffield.

Sheffield City Council: Sheltered housing booklet.

Buchanan Green is a new Retirement Living Scheme at Parson Cross. It’s for people over 60 who want to live independently but may need care and support and the reassurance of onsite staff 24/7. There are 140 properties consisting of:

  • 122 modern, accessible, 1 and 2 bedroom  apartments
  • 6 apartments which can be easily adapted for people who use a wheelchair
  • 18 Bungalows.

All the properties have:

  • modern fitted kitchens and accessible shower rooms
  • door entry system
  • 24hr emergency care alarm system.

The scheme has the following facilities:

  • private residents lounge and landscaped gardens
  • communal laundry facilities
  • guest flat
  • scooter storage
  • public Wi-Fi in communal areas
  • communal activities space which is also available for hire for special events
  • café which is also open to the public.

And pets are allowed!

There are also:

  • one care provider on site for those who have an assessed care need
  • dedicated housing staff to provide housing management and support
  • caretaking services to keep communal areas clean and safe
  • health and wellbeing services delivered in partnership with other organisations
  • out of hours concierge service.

The 1 bed apartments are £214.72 per week. The 2 bed apartments are £229.60 per week and bungalows are £224.70 per week (this does not include costs of care). If you’re on a low income you are likely to receive help towards the costs of paying your rent.

A proportion of properties are allocated to people with an assessed care need.

For further information about Buchanan Green please contact the Older Persons Independent Living Service:

Call: 0114 293 0000.


Extra Care housing schemes help people aged over 55 to live independently with the confidence that help is there when needed.

The schemes provide self-contained flats and bungalows with staff on hand to help when required. They vary in size, location and facilities, with many offering homes to
rent, buy or part-buy.

Five Extra Care Schemes have been developed in partnership with the City Council. These are:

For more information contact the scheme.

There are some other Extra Care Schemes in the city which offer a range of different support and services. You can find out more at the Elderly Accommodation Counsel's Housing Care website.

EAC Housing Care.


View all services on the directory for Sheltered Housing and Extra Care Schemes.


Last updated: