When should a local authority carry out an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment?

If a parent, young person, school or college asks a local authority to carry out an EHC needs assessment, they must look at:

  • if the child or young person has or may have special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND)
  • if they may need special educational provision through an EHC plan.

If the answer to both of these questions is yes, they must carry out an EHC needs assessment.

This test is set out in the law in section 36(8) of the Children and Families Act 2014. These are the only questions the local authority should be asking when looking at if to carry out an EHC needs assessment, or not.

5 cartoon figures of people of different ethnic origins.  one is in a wheelchair, one is wearing glasses