School transport for children with special educational needs

For young people who can travel on their own

Children or young people with a special educational need or disability could be entitled to free travel to and from school in South Yorkshire with a Children's Zero Fare Pass.

For further information on how to apply for a Zero Fare Pass, please visit Free school transport section of Sheffield City Council's website.

Children and Young People needing extra help with their travel

Depending on a child's individual circumstances they may require extra help with their journey to school or college.  This is called 'travel assistance'.

The Travel Assessment and Training Team process all applications for home to school transport for all children living in Sheffield.  You can apply online or ask for a paper application form through the team.

They deal with all requests for assisted transport for all children and Young People with SEND aged 4 to 16.

The team also process applications for transport assistance to school or college for young people with SEND who are over the age of 16.

Being able to get help with transport to school or college depends on:

  • the individual circumstances of the child
  • which school they attend
  • how far they have to travel from home to school.

5 cartoon characters, one is in a wheelchair

Short term medical request for transport

The Travel Assessment and Training team can also provide transport for young people who have a short-term medical reason that is keeping them from going to school.

Contact them on the below details.  They will need the students name and date of birth.  They will then send out a form to be completed and sent back.

They will ask for things like:

  • medical evidence
  • confirmation from a medical professional
  • approximate recovery time

They will be then look at the application to see if transport can be provided.

Last updated: