What is adult social care?

Adult social care helps you to live as independently as possible, and to remain safe and well.

In Sheffield adult social care is lead by Sheffield City Council Adult Care and Wellbeing, but the service is provided through many partnerships and joint working with local NHS health services, voluntary and community organisations and independent sector providers like home care companies and care homes.

All councils are required to follow government guidelines and the Care Act 2014 when providing adult social care. 

Government legislation website: Care Act 2014.

If you think you need the Council to help you arrange or pay for your care and support, the Council will follow rules to work out if you need support and what you can afford to pay. You can find out more about the assessment process on the Council website:

Sheffield City Council: Helping you stay independent.

Sheffield City Council: Cost of care.

The Council will talk to you about your health and wellbeing and any problems you are having. This could include problems from, or are related to, a physical or mental condition or illness.

The Council will then work out how your problems are affecting you and the impact on your wellbeing. This can include:

  • eating, drinking and preparing meals.
  • personal care.
  • being appropriately clothed.
  • being able to make use of your home safely.
  • running and maintaining your home.
  • developing and maintaining family and other personal relationships.
  • accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering.
  • making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community, including public transport and recreational facilities.
  • carrying out any caring responsibilities for a child.

If you need support, the Council will create a plan for how this can be provided (called a Support Plan). The Council will also ask you about your finances to work out how much you can afford to pay towards your support. The Council must follow government rules on how to do this.

If you don't want to share information about your finances you can still get advice from the Council and help to set up your support but you will have to pay for all the costs of your support. There is more information about this on the Council website.

Sheffield City Council: Cost of care.

You can appeal any decision we make. For more details download our Appeals Procedure.

Adult Social Care Appeals Procedure.

You also have the right to make a complaint. Get more information about this on the Council website.

Sheffield City Council: Complain about Adult Social Care services.

How we work

If you would like more information about how the Sheffield City Council Adult Care and Wellbeing Service works and how adult care and support is provided visit our how we work page.

Adult Care and Wellbeing: how we work.

Last updated: